Updated: May 25, 2019
1. Mind the Prostate. Prostate health is perhaps one of the biggest concerns for men. In fact, prostate cancer is the highest cancer risk for the American male population. This walnut-sized gland, at the base of the bladder, can be easily strengthened with the following practices:
Eat more cooked tomatoes. Cooked tomatoes provide lycopene, which is critical for prostate health.
Eat more wild-caught fish that are high in omega-3 fatty acids and reduce inflammation of the prostate.
Eat more zinc-rich foods that act as natural diuretics and also reduce inflammation. Zinc-rich foods include chia, hemp or pumpkin seeds. I add chia and hemp seeds to my husband’s Ageless Shake, and he carries raw organic pumpkin seeds in his car glove compartment. Nuts, such as pine nuts and almonds ( I buy organic almonds) contain a good amount of zinc. (My hubby puts these in the same bag as the glove compartment pumpkin seeds) Added zinc bonus—eat your eggs and indulge in dark chocolate!
Finally, be sure to take prostate-friendly supplements daily: Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Selenium, Omega 3 fatty acids and zinc.
Check out Amanda's recipes tailored to men's health! They contain wild caught salmon, roasted tomatoes, and a citrus kale salad.
2. Tame the Tresses. Fortunately, there are some easy ways to thicken those tresses and discourage dreaded hair loss. First, always choose organic foods when you can, or at least buy organic when a food falls on The Dirty Dozen list. The pesticides found on non-organic foods are endocrine disrupters, which lead to hair loss. Other foods that encourage hair to stay put are wild caught fish (high in Omega 3 fatty acids), pumpkin seeds (high in zinc), and bone broth, whose collagen is perfect food for hair growth. (Notice that increasing your intake of wild caught fish and zinc will kill two birds with one stone—increase prostate health AND reduce hair loss!) If you feel you aren’t getting enough of these foods, add a high quality Omega 3 and zinc supplement to your morning regimen. I like to use a protein powder made from bone broth in the daily morning shake I make for me and my husband. Lastly, supplement with biotin (B7). I take 8 milligrams a day and swear my hair is thicker, and I find much less hair in my shower drain or hairbrush.
3. Tend the Teeth. Sorry guys, but according to research, you are much less likely to tend to the pearly whites than women are. (Except for YOU of course!)
My teeth Hints:
Just eat well. Eat more celery, chia seeds, foods or supplements rich in vitamin D, bone broth and healthy fats like coconut oil and avocado (see the theme?)
Brush with a remineralizing toothpaste. You can make your own (hey your workout is Only 20 minutes now. We will get there in the next hint!) A remineralizing toothpaste concoction consists of coconut oil, baking soda, xylitol (sweet!) and clove essential oil.
Limit sugar. I know your childhood dentist said the same thing. Sorry to nag.
Avoid the Dirty Dozen
Try oil pulling! This easy and cool Ayurvedic tradition promises to not only dramatically increase dental health, but has shown to help the entire body release toxins. Before eating anything in the morning, swish with a tablespoon of coconut oil for 15 minutes. It will become liquefied and over time you will get the hang of keeping it in your mouth without squirting it out between the lips! Pass the time by checking your emails?! Although I have mentioned how healthy coconut oil is for you, not the batch that has been in your mouth after 15 minutes. Be sure not to swallow, and spit it in a trash can to avoid eventual sink clogs.
4. Burn the Fat, Build the Muscle. One of the quickest and most efficient ways to burn fat, increase testosterone, HGH and DHEA and subsequently increase muscle mass and libido is High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). HIIT workouts consist of short 30 second periods of intense exercise alternated with less intense 90 second cardio periods. These workouts are more efficient than longer cardio sessions and are perfect for the time-stretched individual. They only take 20 minutes! Some of the biggest advantages of HIIT is that you can get maximal health benefits in minimal time, you burn more fat and calories, your metabolic rate is markedly higher for hours after a session, reduced heart rate, blood pressure, and blood sugar levels.
A HIIT session looks like this:
Choose your favorite cardio exercise (running, swimming, cycling, elliptical, etc.
Warm up for 3 min, choosing a moderate pace
Increase your speed to your highest capacity for 30 seconds (push so hard that you can’t talk)
Go back to a normal/moderate workout pace for 90 seconds
Repeat for 8 segments
Follow with a 3-minute cool down
Do a HIIT workout 2-3 times/week. You should see results fast!
5. Bust the Stress. Stress is the #1 contributor to disease. And men aren’t immune! The best way to manage and release the detrimental effects of stress is through a daily mind-body self-care routine. This invaluable time will not only keep you physically healthier, it improves focus and productivity, enhances relationships, increases emotional regulation (less anger and aggression), and increases the happiness quotient. My husband sets aside 10-15 minutes a day to practice breathwork and meditate. When we are in the thick of it with one of our kids, I often hear him say, “Thank God I meditate!” If you would like some help setting up a customized daily routine for yourself, call the clinic (713.861.6777) to make an initial appointment with one of our Holistic Therapists. This month, we are offering an incredible opportunity with our Stress Busting Package. Invest in yourself!We’ve all got 15 minutes for a single game-changing habit. These 15 minutes will dramatically improve almost all aspects of your life. I promise.